The Los Angeles Murals & Mentorship Project
What is it?
Juvenile first time offenders who self identify as emerging artists are assigned by the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office to apprentice for professional muralists, gaining hands-on experience in developing and painting a mural for the city. In addition, apprentices complete training in drawing and basic artistic skills with professional artists, followed by internships in the Art Department at Warner Bros. and/or other Hollywood studios for film and television projects or at other major LA Arts Institutions. The program closes with apprentices completing a smaller arts project in his/her home community under the supervision of Los Angeles Downtown Arts District Space (LADADSpace.)
Who are the LA Murals & Mentorship Program Partners & Supporters?
- Councilman Jose Huizar and City Council District 14
- Los Angeles Downtown Arts District Space (LADADSpace)
- Warner Bros. Studios
- The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office
- LA businesses, art galleries, non-profit organizations, restaurants, civic, and legal leaders
- The Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs
- All who enjoy beautifying the city, murals, and public art!
- First time offenders from East, Central, and South Los Angeles with an aptitude for the arts
- Property owners and civic leaders who wish to replace tagging on city walls with stunning and creative mural art
What makes this project special?
This project is already well underway and we aim for the experience to be a transformative one for all. Apprentices receive on the job training, one on one arts instruction, and an apprenticeship – all with professional artists, as well as a paid internship with one of the biggest film and television studios in the world, and an opportunity to create art in their home communities. Working artists get a chance to give back to youth and underrepresented communities, the city gets murals in place of destructive tagging, and we all get new, beautiful and unique public art!
What can you do to support the project?
You can learn more about the project, cheer us on and VOTE here: